This is one of our favourites – quick, easy, delicious, nutritious! What more can you ask for?
Copycat of restaurant style Chinese Beef with Honey and Black Pepper Sauce. Super fast and easy to make – it’s on the table in 15 minutes! The sauce is absolutely divine – sticky, sweet, salty and with a subtle burst of heat from the black pepper.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
Course: Stir Fry
Keyword: beef stir fry, honey pepper sauce, stir fry sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp Oyster sauce or Hoisin Sauce (I have used fish sauce in substitution which gives a fabulous spicy kick)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine , Mirin or dry sherry (I have successfully substituted white or red wine vinegar)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp coarsely crushed black pepper (or 1/2 tsp normal ground black pepper)
- 2 tbsp peanut oil (or vegetable or sesame oil)
- 1 garlic clove , finely minced (lazy garlic works just as well!)
- 1/2 onion , peeled and sliced
- 500g/1 lb thinly sliced tenderloin, flank, sirloin/Porterhouse/strip, or any other cut of steak suitable for stir frying
- Selection of your favourite stir fry vegetables. I use peppers and green beans.
- Mix the Sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large heavy based skillet over high heat until it is smoking.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute or until the onion becomes translucent. Keep it moving so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the beef and stir fry for 1 minute until just cooked to your liking, then remove into bowl.
- Turn the heat down to medium high, pour in Sauce – it will start simmering very quickly! Let it cook for 1 minute or so until it becomes syrupy – the bubbles will be larger and caramel colour.
- Add the beef and onion back into the wok, along with any juices pooled on the plate. Toss in the sauce until just warmed through – 1 minute at most. Don’t overcook the beef – that would be tragic!
- Serve immediately with rice or noodles
Serving: 178g | Calories: 473.68kcal | Carbohydrates: 16.02g | Protein: 24.21g | Fat: 34.34g | Saturated Fat: 12.39g | Cholesterol: 87.5mg | Sodium: 876.12mg | Potassium: 423.93mg | Fiber: 0.32g | Sugar: 13.77g | Vitamin C: 1.25mg | Calcium: 11.91mg | Iron: 3.27mg